Caws Cenarth Cheddar with Leeks - Cheesy Mash & Sausages in Onion Gravy
Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this cheesy leek mash & sausage recipe, enhanced by the exquisite Caws Cenarth Cheddar Cheese with Leeks. Tender boiled potatoes are mashed until smooth, then enriched with butter and milk, creating a creamy canvas. The pièce de résistance is the addition of Caws Cenarth Cheese with leeks, infusing the mash with savoury goodness. Top it off with sizzling sausages for a hearty and satisfying supper that will warm your heart and tantalize your taste buds!
- Welsh Maris Piper potatoes
- Butter - full fat, salted Welsh butter
- Milk - full-fat for the creamiest mash
- Caws Cenarth Cheddar Cheese with Leeks
- 280g Sausages
For the Gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 glass red wine
- 300-400ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Cook the sausages according to the on-pack instructions.
For the Mash:
- Boil the potatoes, wash, and peel and then cut into quarters, cover with water and a very generous pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender.
- Dry the potatoes, and once drained, put back on a medium heat and dry them out for about 2 minutes.
- Using a masher, mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add the Welsh butter and milk, then using a spoon stir the potatoes until the butter melts into the potatoes.
- Next, add the Caws Cenarth Cheddar with leeks. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- All the stirring needs to be quite quick and the result should be perfectly creamy cheesy mashed potatoes.
For the Gravy:
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat, add the oil and onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 2 minutes, then add the red wine and bubble for a few minutes, until reduced by half. Add the stock gradually, stirring continually until you have a nice, thick gravy. Check the seasoning, add the balsamic vinegar.
Pour the gravy generously over the cooked sausages and serve with the mash for the ultimate in comfort food!
Reviews for Caws Cenarth Cheddar with Leeks - Cheesy Mash & Sausages in Onion Gravy
"The Caws Cenarth Cheddar with Leeks - Cheesy Mash & Sausages in Onion Gravy is pure comfort on a plate! The mashed potatoes are velvety and rich, thanks to the Caws Cenarth Cheddar with Leeks that adds a savoury kick. When everything comes together on the fork, it's a burst of comfort and satisfaction. This recipe is a winner for any day you're craving a hearty, soul-soothing meal!“
Looking for More?
Try Our Other Recipes
Follow our jounrey on Instagram